Monday, May 13, 2013

My changes to Quiltmaker's Garden (so far...)

This is what I have in EQ7:

My Revised Version

I made the Birds and Watering Can larger,
and the Butterflies smaller.
I was able to swap the spots for the Birds and Butterflies, but I had to make a few changes to accommodate the larger Watering Can.

I also replaced the white patches in the blue and yellow pinwheel flower blocks with sky background.

I haven't drawn the tall flowers or the applique into EQ7 yet,
but I'm pretty happy with it so far.

This is the original quilt from the magazine:

Original Version

Saturday, April 6, 2013

TATRWJ - Row 6, Block 7

My tenth "Trip Around the Rainbow With Jane" block.
TATRWJ - Row 6, Block 7
Completed on Apr. 5, 2013 (31pcs)
TATRWJ - 10 Blocks, 0 Triangles, 0 Corners, 226 Pieces

I used paper-piecing for this block, and all in all it came out pretty good. Usually my blocks come out too small so this time I tried sewing just a TINY bit on the right side of the line on the paper and it came out much closer to size. Although it was a bit large on a couple of the outer points of the big star. I just took some of the seams in a little bit and it came out better.

The center star went together pretty well. After sewing the seams in the tiny star I trimmed them to 1/8" to cut down on some of the bulk. Since I use a tiny stitch when paper-piecing I figure that should hold it well enough. I've done this a lot on some of my Harry blocks with too many small pieces in one area. One of the points on the tiny star is cut off, and I'm debating whether to fix it. It seems a bit bumpy so I may be able to just take in the seam a tiny bit to remedy it. Maybe....

Saturday, March 30, 2013

TATRWJ - Row 9, Block 9 & Row 9, Block 7

My eighth "Trip Around the Rainbow With Jane" block.
TATRWJ - Row 9, Block 9
Completed on Mar. 28, 2013 (35pcs)
TATRWJ - 8 Blocks, 0 Triangles, 0 Corners, 158 Pieces

And my ninth "Trip Around the Rainbow With Jane" block.
TATRWJ - Row 9, Block 7
Completed on Mar. 29, 2013 (37pcs)
TATRWJ - 9 Blocks, 0 Triangles, 0 Corners, 195 Pieces

Both of these were done using paper-pieced patterns, but next time I might just do Row 9, Block 9 with regular piecing. It didn't seem to be worth the extra work with such plain pieces, but I had already cut out the pieces with extra seam allowances for paper-piecing, so I just went it, instead of trimming all the cut pieces.

Thanks to Minka from Minka's Studio for asking me how I was coming along, which gave me the incentive to finally sew a block.

I'm not sure whether I'm going to make the entire quilt as one quilt or not. I'm toying with the idea of making all the blocks, but putting them into about 7 smaller lap size quilts, each with a different design. The thought cauldron is bubbling, but no decisions will be made until I have the 25 center blocks that are all cut and ready to sew completed. Then I can decide. Until then, I'm hoping to get another sewing spurt soon. Sometimes, life gets in the way of quilting. But for now, I've finally sewn something.