Sunday, February 7, 2010

Updates to Sewn Patterns

After sewing the first 3 blocks, I've found some minor changes that I'd like to make to a couple of the patterns if I sew the blocks again.

TATRWJ - Row 5, Block 5, Pattern Changes

My Block
TATRWJ - Row 5, Block 5

Jane's Block
In War Time - Row 5, Block 5
Photo of Jane's Block - With Blue Lines Added to Outline the Block

Pattern Changes
TATRWJ - Row 5, Block 5 - Changes Marked in Green Circles

If I make this block again, I'm going to try not to have the background melons connected to each other as much, and turn the edges under right up to the joining points. It ended up this way because I was unfamiliar with using the arc tools in EQ, and couldn't figure out how to make the arcs touch each other less where they joined when I made the pattern.

I've since figured it out and fixed the pattern, but not in time for the sewn block. I want to eliminate the purple seams, and the melons will be smaller and more like Jane's.

TATRWJ - Row 5, Block 6, Pattern Changes

My Block
TATRWJ - Row 5, Block 6

Jane's Block
In War Time - Row 5, Block 6
Photo of Jane's Block - With Blue Lines Added to Outline the Block

Pattern Changes
TATRWJ - Row 5, Block 6 - Changes Marked in Green Ovals

On closer inspection, I noticed that the side triangles on Jane's block are only touching in ONE out of FOUR places. When I originally made the pattern I thought maybe they should touch, and it was easier to it design that way, just dividing the space into two equal sections. After staring at it some more, now I think that maybe the original pattern had the triangles NOT touching. So I've adjusted the pattern to reflect this, but again my block was sewn from my first version of the pattern. If I make another block, I'll use my newer pattern with the side triangles NOT touching.

Future Changes to Patterns

It looks like lots of the patterns I made will be changed before I'm done.

When you actually sew the block and then compare it to the original, small differences become more noticeable.

I drew all the center blocks into EQ5 (so that I could use them in the DJ software), but I wasn't all the familiar with the program at the time. Obviously, by the time I got to the 169th pattern, I was getting better at it.

The first patterns I drafted will definitely need to be looked at more closely for things I can fix to make them better (more like the original designs).

No comments: